SQF Food Safety Program: The SQF Code meets the needs of all suppliers in the food industry through an internationally recognized certification system, featuring an emphasis on the systematic application of HACCP for control of food safety hazards. The implementation of an SQF management system addresses a buyer’s food safety requirements and provides the solution for businesses supplying local and global food markets.
What is SQF?
The SQF food safety standard, first developed in Australia in 1994, has been owned and managed by the Food Marketing Institute (FMI) since 2003; it is recognized as Safe Quality Foods Institute (SQFI). The SQF food safety standard has a unique structure which includes a modular approach. Module 2 of the standard is applied to all food manufacturers, and applies to basic management requirements and application of the HACCP process. In addition to Module 2, the other Modules of the standard are applied which contain industry-specific GMP and Prerequisite programs based on what the company produces (such as meats, beverages, grains & nuts, produce, etc.).
The Safe Quality Food (SQF) Program is a rigorous and credible food safety and quality program that is recognized by retailers, brand owners, and food service providers world-wide. Recognized by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI), the SQF family of food safety and quality codes are designed to meet industry, customer, and regulatory requirements for all sectors of the food supply chain – from the farm all the way to the retail stores
- The SQF Food Safety Code for PRIMARY PRODUCTION
- The SQF Food Safety Code for STORAGE & DISTRIBUTION
- The SQF Food Safety Code for Manufacture of FOOD PACKAGING
- The SQF Food Safety Code for FOOD RETAIL
- The SQF QUALITY code
BENEFITS OF SQF STANDARD
- Recognized by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI)
- Provide a framework for implementing a steady, reliable and efficient food safety and quality system within the organization
- Provide cost and time savings by potentially eliminating the need for retailer audits
- Experience potential business growth opportunities by gaining a competitive advantage over non-certified suppliers
- Meet consumer demands for safe, high-quality food practices by participating in an internationally- recognized program, endorsed by major retailers